Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Peñafiel

For our 5th weekend excursion, our group was off to Peñafiel.

Peñafiel is a castle on the top of a mountain, which is shaped like a boat to mimic the shape of the top of the mountain. It used to be right on the border of the Christian and Muslim territory.







Since we've been in Spain, it rained twice. Once for one minute and once for four minutes, and during that time, the temperature never cooled down. On this trip, I actually wished I had brought my jacket. We saw rain on the horizon and were very excited.

Then my roommate suggested we take a "sad" photo because we miss the rain in Seattle, and it wasn't actually raining where we were.


Finally, it started to rain as we were finishing up our tour. All of us were really excited. Instead of running for shelter like everybody else, we just stood out in the rain. My favorite picture is of my friend Luiza's reaction to the rain.

After our tour finished, we walked around the Museum of Wine that they had inside the castle. There was a cool set up to try the scents of the different flavors that are put into wine.

We left the castle and went to a winery about fifteen minutes away. The winery was pretty boring as nothing really happens in the middle of summer. Their fields were pretty. At the end, they had a wine tasting. I took a sip but found it to be extremely bitter and handed off my glass to one of my classmates.



This picture is solely for my dad. He works for a company that sells CAT equipment.

After the winery, we returned to the town near the castle. It was practically empty, and we only found one open restaurant to pass our time at. Finally we left and went on a quick trip to Tordesillas (I think) where the Treaty of Tordesillas was signed by the kings and queens of Portugal and Spain dealing with new world territories. This is why Portuguese is spoken in Brazil, and Spanish is spoken in the rest of South America. We went to a little museum but it wasn't that interesting. Finally, before heading back to Salamanca, we took a quick break in the town center. Of course, nothing in Spain is ever complete without ice cream. This place was by far the best ice cream shop I've been to in Spain (and trust me, I've been to quite a few). I chose their coconut flavor, and it turned out to be the most amazing ice cream I have had in Spain. It was very fresh and had coconut shavings in it, but it was also the perfect level of sweetness. Yummm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment