Monday, August 17, 2009

Church of Saint Stephen (San Esteban)

On another one of our trips around the city, we visited "La Iglesia de San Esteban". Previously, we walked by the front of the church, but we actually went inside and looked around last week. The cathedral is about the same as all the others in Salamanca. I heard something about it being designed by the brother of the architect who designed the New Cathedral for Salamanca. There were lots of ornate details, but of course, I like the architecture best.



The cathedral had a very pretty patio and a very grand hallways with enormous doors.




In one of the sanctuaries, there were chandeliers.


The had some very artistic portrayals of Jesus- which were both weird and interesting. I liked these photos that I took of one the best.



The choir loft was enormous and had a huge renaissance painting above it. I'm sad that choirs don't actually sing in the church anymore because I'm sure that mass there would have been amazing.




The altar was very intricate as well as the "shrines".










I felt that this church was a lot lighter and more open than the other cathedrals than I've been in. It was also probably slightly larger than most.




For a historical background on the church, follow the link below- it should be mostly accurate:
Convento de San Esteban

No comments:

Post a Comment